Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock
Home About us Editors Ahead of Print Current Issue Archives Search Instructions Subscribe Advertise Login 
Users online:2097   Print this pageEmail this pageSmall font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size   
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2012  |  Volume : 5  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 36-41

The results of the three-month co-operation between a German and a Greek surgical team in a role II military hospital in Afghanistan


1 Department of Second Surgical, 401 General Army Hospital of Athens, Greece
2 Department of Anaesthesiology, 424 General Army Hospital of Thessaloniki, Greece
3 Department of First Orthopaedic, 251 General Air force Hospital of Athens, Greece
4 Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, German Armed Forces Hospital of Koblenz, Germany
5 Department of Orthopaedic and Vessel Surgery, German Armed Forces Hospital of Ulm, Germany
6 Department of Visceral and Thoracic Surgery, German Armed Forces Hospital of Ulm, Germany

Correspondence Address:
Stavros Gourgiotis
Department of Second Surgical, 401 General Army Hospital of Athens
Greece
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0974-2700.93110

Rights and Permissions

Background and Aim: There are a lot of unique challenges for the military medical personnel assigned to Afghanistan. We evaluate the results of the co-operation between a German and a Greek surgical team during a 3-month period in a role II hospital. Materials and Methods: Patients who were admitted to the role II German hospital of Kunduz were evaluated. We reviewed the type of diseases, mechanism and location of injuries, management, types of surgical procedures, blood supply, and outcome. Results: The data included 792 ISAF patients, 18 NGOs patients, and 296 local patients. Out of them, 71.6% of the patients were ISAF personnel; 51 patients underwent a surgical operation; 35 of them were operated in an emergency base. Fifty-five surgical procedures were performed. In 22 (43.1%) of these patients, orthopedic procedures were performed, while in the rest 29 (56.9%) patients the operations were of general surgery interest. Gunshot injuries were the main mechanism of injury for locals, whereas ISAF personnel were usually presented with injuries after IEDs and rocket attacks. A total number of 11 patients were transferred to role III military hospitals for further treatment within 24 hours. Conclusions: The co-operation between surgical teams from different countries, when appropriately trained, staffed, and equipped, can be highly effective in a combat environment.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2279    
    Printed156    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded13    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal